Separate from a previous request for comments on implementation of the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA), the Education Dept. is seeking input on areas of the law that could provide non-regulatory guidance to assist states, districts and other grantees.
Public Comment Deadline: May 25
Non-regulatory guidance is not binding and does not impose any new requirements beyond those in the law and regulations;, it is intended to help the public understand the law. DoEd is looking for thoughts, comments, and suggestions on areas or specific new requirements of the ESSA that would benefit from such guidance.
For example, ED seeks input on:
- Ways to expand early learning;
- Strategies to recruit, develop, and retain teachers and leaders (Title II);
- Clarification of fiscal requirements;
- Student support services (Title IV); and
- Other areas where state and local agencies could benefit from additional guidance.
In addition, DoEd plans on developing guidance regarding students in foster care, homeless children and youth, and English Learners (Title III).