The American School Board Journal & Sodexo School Services offer the Magna Awards, which are made to outstanding K-12 school programs that showcase school district leadership, creativity, and commitment to student achievement.
The competition is to open later this year. The funds are available nationally; school district boards are eligible to apply. Awards are up to $5,000 each.
Magna nominations are judged according to three enrollment categories (under 5,000 enrollment; 5,000-20,000 enrollment; and over 20,000 enrollment) with one Grand Prize Winner in each category. Each Grand Prize Winner receives a $5,000 contribution from Sodexo School Services. There are five additional winners and five honorable mention winners within each enrollment category.
Judges are looking for programs that are:
- Supported by the school board.
- The result of appropriate school board leadership.
- Successful in view of the program’s primary objectives.
- Important in promoting the district’s mission.
- Capable of being replicated.