Private Funder: Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railroad Foundation (BNSF); Opportunity: 2016 foundation grants; Funding Focus: Education, children, community development and arts/culture; Geographic Focus: National (where the railroad has a presence); Eligibility: Nonprofit organizations; Funding: Awards vary; generally in the 1,000 to $10,000 range (the foundation made $9.4 million in grants last year); Deadline: Rolling (applications are reviewed monthly).
Summary: Substance abuse programs are a priority. The foundation supports an array of programs. BNSF focus areas:
- Youth organizations such as Boys & Girls Clubs, Camp Fire, Scouts, Junior Achievement and similar groups;
- Educational institutions, both public and private. Grants of an exceptional nature may be made to vocational and non-college schools. Preferably, contributions will be directed toward the improvement of the quality of education. Ordinarily, grants will not be made to finance the expansion of a student body or the payment of scholarships. (BNSF’s scholarship programs, as well as the Employee Matching Gift Program, are governed by separate policies.);
- Cultural organizations that include performing, visual, and fine arts, museums and other related activities that offer opportunities for underserved children to experience cultural learning events;
- Civic services including organizations which are concerned with the environment, as well as local community issues such as crime prevention, parks and recreation, diversity and community development; and
- Health and Human Service organizations such as YMCA/YWCA, programs that address chemical dependency treatment and prevention, spouse and child abuse, women’s and children’s aid and transitional shelters. This category also includes hospitals and medical programs.