Agency: State Justice Institute (SJI); Program: 2018 SJI Grants: Project Grants; Technical Assistance (TA) Grants; Curriculum Adaptation & Training (CAT) Grants; Partner Grants; and Education Support Program (ESP); Eligibility: State and local courts (juvenile courts are eligible), nonprofits; Funding: Project Grants (up to $300,000 each); TA Grants (up to $50,000 each); CAT Grants (applicants are required to match not less than 50% of the grant amount requested, of which 20% must be cash); Partner Grants (no set amount); and ESP ($1,000 awards); Deadline: Nov. 1.
Summary: Through its grant programs, the federally-chartered SJI seeks to improve the quality of justice in state courts and foster innovative, efficient solutions to common issues faced by all courts. SJI offers five funding opportunities of interest to readers:
- Project Grants: These awards support innovative education and training, demonstration and technical assistance projects to improve the administration of justice in the nation’s courts.
- TA Grants: This program provides state and local courts with funding to obtain expert assistance to diagnose a problem, develop a response to that problem and initiate implementation of any needed changes.
- CAT Grants: This program enables courts to modify and adapt or revise curriculum, train instructors, pilot-test the new or revised curriculum and conduct judicial branch education and training programs.
- Partner Grants: This program allows SJI and federal, state, local and private entities to combine financial resources in pursuit of common interests.
- ESP: This program provides tuition assistance for state court judges and court managers.